Balancing LIFE is currently seeking committed student worker mentors to participate in our peer mentorship program! Peer mentors will be given the opportunity to participate in leadership-training, collaborate with OSAS staff, and make a positive impact on student peers with disabilities. This amazing paid opportunity to gain knowledge and transferable skills while mentoring would be a great addition to a resume.
Student Mentor Overview Duties
- Participate in staff meetings, partner collaboration, training, and staff events
- Assist in the planning, organization, and implementation of Balancing LIFE activities
- Work directly with students to provide various non-clinical support services
- Provide continuous mentorship and guidance to fellow USC students registered with OSAS
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disability issues.
- Develop a rapport with students to encourage and foster an on-going peer mentorship relationship
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships involving interactions and communications personally, by phone and in writing with a variety of individuals and/or groups from diverse backgrounds on a regular, ongoing basis
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Mentor commitment involves:
- Completion of a three-day orientation training occurring in August (08/18, 08/19, & 08/20) on peer mentorship principles
- Participation in both fall and spring semesters
- Meeting with mentees once a week for 30 min-1 hour
- Attending biweekly supervision meetings with program coordinator
- Attending monthly workshops/events hosted by Balancing LIFE or USC
Mentor candidates are expected to be or have the following:
- Sophomore or above class standing
- Registered and actively utilizing OSAS services
- In good academic standing with the university (2.0 GPA)
- Interest in inclusion & respect for diversity
- Familiarity with campus resources
- Commitment to program and all of the above for the whole academic year
Part-time, up to 5-10 hours a week
Please complete and submit the application below by July 25th, 2021. Interviews with each applicant will be conducted between August 1st to August 13.
- Online application
For any questions or concerns, please contact Bethrese Padini at email@example.com.